As We Enter A New Year Of Country Music, Randy Travis Takes The Top Prize And New Songs From Alabama And Billy Dean Debut
Welcome to the results for the final week of our “1991” series! As we wrap up another “year,” there are so many great hits of 1992 to look forward to!
Deservingly so, Randy Travis takes his spot at #1 this week with “Better Class Of Losers.” Did you know that Randy co-wrote this massive hit with his close friend, Alan Jackson? The two also co-wrote a handful of songs together in the early 90’s, including Alan’s “She Got The Rhythm (And I Got The Blues).”
Swapping spots once again are Tracy Lawrence with “Sticks and Stones” at #2 and Sawyer Brown’s “The Dirt Road” at #3. Tracy Lawrence has one more week to reach the #1 position, while Sawyer Brown will be away from the poll until their next hit comes around.
Dwight Yoakam takes an unexpected fall back to the #4 slot this week and Pam Tillis and “Maybe It Was Memphis” climbs to #4. Like “Sticks And Sticks” above, Tillis has one more opportunity to climb to the top!
Travis Tritt and Marty Stuart also fall back a spot in this week’s countdown. With Marty coming into the poll with one of his own hits this week, will we see him land two spots on the Top10 at one time? I’d have to dive back into the countdown history, but this may be a first if successful!
Speaking of new songs, this week sees two new entries into the Top10 with Billy Dean’s “Only The Wind” and Alabama’s “Born Country” taking #8 and #9, respectively. Wouldn’t it be something to see the Alabama hit that shares the same name as this blog become a “CERTIFIED BORN Country” hit?! All it takes is three weeks at the top!
Retired From This Week’s Poll:
- Dwight Yoakam – It Only Hurts When I Cry
- Sawyer Brown – The Dirt Road
- Neal McCoy – This Time I Hurt Her More (Than She Loves Me)
Added To This Week’s Poll:
- Reba McEntire – Is There Life Out There
- Marty Stuart – Burn Me Down
- George Jones – She Loved A Lot In Her Time
- Wynonna – She Is His Only Need
- Clinton Gregory – Play, Ruby Play
- Highway 101 – Baby, I’m Missing You
*Readers may vote for 3 songs, EVERY HOUR, until the poll closes on Sunday night at 9PM ET. Results will be posted shortly after, with a new poll opening at 6AM ET on Monday morning. Songs will generally be retired after 6 weeks or due to a lack of fan interest. If a song remains at #1 for 3 weeks straight, it will be retired as a CERTIFIED “BORN Country” hit!
10. Travis Tritt & Marty Stuart (Last Week: #8)
9. Alabama – Born Country (NEW)
8. Billy Dean – Only The Wind (NEW)
7. Alan Jackson – Dallas (Last Week: #7)
6. Doug Stone – Jukebox With A Country Song (RE-RENTRY)
5. Dwight Yoakam – It Only Hurts When I Cry (Last Week: #4)
4. Pam Tillis – Maybe It Was Memphis (Last Week: #5)
3. Sawyer Brown – The Dirt Road (Last Week: #2)
2. Tracy Lawrence – Sticks And Stones (Last Week: #3)
1. Randy Travis – Better Class Of Losers (Last Week: #10)
Did your favorite song make it into the Top10 this week? Let everyone know which song you believe deserves a higher spot next week in the comments below! The Throwback Top10 results are based 100% on reader votes! Don’t forget that you can vote for up to THREE songs, once every hour between Monday morning at 6AM ET and Sunday Evening at 9PM ET! Please use the social media buttons at the top and bottom of this page to share the poll with fellow country music fans! Thanks for voting!